In June of 2008 I graduated college and while my fellow students were busy getting interviews lined up and their resumes nice and shiny in the hopes of starting the career we just spent 20+ years studying for, I decide to hop on a plane to France.
I knew it was time to “become an adult” and start making real money, but I had a big dream that I knew I had to make happen: to live and work in France.
There were quite a few problems with this scenario…
- I didn’t speak French.
- I didn’t have a visa to stay longer than 3 months.
Both of these things were entirely necessary to work for a French company.
But I decided to not let that stop me. I found a way and made it happen anyway.
It may have taken awhile, and I may have eaten a lot of buttered pasta along the way, but I made it happen.
A couple years later, I had another dream. To work for myself, so I could live where I want and not have to go through the same experience of looking for a job everywhere I wanted to go.
There were a few problems with this scenario as well…
- I didn’t have any skills I could sell as a freelancer.
- I didn’t know anything about online marketing or selling myself.
- I didn’t know how to run a business.
Again, I decided to not let that stop me. I made it happen anyway.
Last year (my first full year in business) I decided to make $97k.
There were a few problems with this scenario…
- I was a service-based business, trading hours for time.
- There are only so many hours in the day.
- Unless I raised my prices higher than even my design “idols”, there was no way I’d hit my goal.
I decided to not let that stop me. I made it happen anyway.
I share this with you because we’re similar you and I. You may not want to live in France but I know you want something.
I just want to remind you that…
- You can achieve what you want if you set your mind to it.
- What you see others doing, you can do too.
- You just need to decide to not let anything (or anybody) stop you
- and then hustle.
It’ll be hard. You may have people in your life that give you resistance. You’ll have moments of serious self-doubt.
But keep truckin’. Because experiencing what you want to experience is what life’s all about.
What is your next big dream? Ready to commit to making it happen? Tell me so in the comments.